LA Theatre Works: The Rivalry by Norman Corwin on Saturday November 1 November 1, 2008Posted by William Spear in >> News, >> Radio Drama.
Tags: Abraham Lincoln, David Strathairn, Eric Simonson, James Gleason, L. A. Theatre Works, Lily Rabe, Norman Corwin, Paul Giamatti, Shannon Cochran, Stephen A. Douglas, The Rivalry
The Play’s The Thing
L.A. THEATRE WORKS
pre-election broadcast of “The Rivalry”
starring Paul Giamatti and David Strathairn
Strathairn and Giamatti star as Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas, rivals for the U.S. Senate: one a rising Illinois legislator and abolitionist candidate of the newly formed Republican Party, the other the Democratic incumbent and champion of states’ rights. The series of seven debates that took place in seven Congressional districts tackled the day’s most passionate issue – slavery – and were conducted in a fever of partisanship as the nation listened. Brass bands played, and the press vilified or glorified the opponents, depending on which side they took.
The production also stars Lily Rabe as Adele Douglas, the young wife of Senator Douglas through whose lens we witness the proceedings; James Gleason; and Shannon Cochran. Eric Simonson, 2006 Academy Award-winner for his documentary The Golden Age of Norman Corwin, directs.
The LATW-recorded production, which includes an interview with the two stars, is set to air on public radio stations around the country, as well as on XM Satellite radio, throughout the weekend as follows:
- Friday, October 31, repeating Monday, November 3, on XM Satellite Radio’s Sonic Theater Channel from 5 pm-7 pm PT; 8 pm-10 pm ET
- Friday, October 31 on 94.9 FM KUOW (greater Seattle area) from 10 pm-midnight PT
- Saturday, November 1 on 91.1 FM KRCB (Sonoma County) from 6 pm-8 pm PT
- Saturday, November 1 on 90.5 FM KUT2 (Austin, TX) from 9 pm-11 pm CT
- Saturday, November 1 on 91.5 FM WICA (Traverse City, MI) from 9 pm-11 pm CT
- Saturday, November 1 on 89.3 FM KPCC (Southern California) from 10 pm-midnight PT
- Saturday, November 1 on 91.5 FM WBEZ (Chicago) from 10 pm-midnight CT
- Sunday, November 2 on 94.1 FM KPFA (Northern California) from 7 pm-9 pm PT
- Sunday, November 2 on 89.7 FM WGBH (greater Boston area) from 8 pm-10 pm ET
Beginning at 12 am PDT on Sunday, November 2, “The Rivalry” will be streamed for one week at http://www.scpr.org/programs/latw .
For three decades, L.A. Theatre Works has been the leading radio theater company in the United States, committed to using innovative technologies to preserve and promote significant works of dramatic literature and bringing live theater into the homes of millions.