Financing Model: Pre-selling the Experience to Fans (First thoughts) August 31, 2008Posted by William Spear in >> Out Basket, >> Radio Drama.
Tags: >> Two Plus Plus Productions LLC, David Byrne, Jill Sobule, Jill's Next Record
Last year, singer-songwriter Jill Sobule was publicly querying fans and readers for their thoughts on how she might finance her next record. Amidst all the pulse-taking, there were several individuals who suggested “that the patronage system – asking fans to donate money – was a promising idea.” (So What Do I Know Now?–Part 2; Wall Street Journal’s All Thing’s Digital; August 22, 2008; http://voices.allthingsd.com/20080822/so-what-do-i-know-now-part-2/ )
To that end, she put up a website, Jill’s Next Record at http://www.jillsnextrecord.com/ , to offer patrons and fans an opportunity to finance her next record. The results? She raised her target amount of $75,000 in two months. As of August 31, 2008, she has raised $86,220.
Sobule’s successful fundraising gives her the opportunity to maintain greater control and receive more royalties from her record. While not a mindboggling ammount, financing the record herself, rather than relying on a studio’s money gives her the chance to be more successful over the longterm. A well-written article on the value to artists of producing and distributing their works may be found in David Byrne’s Survival Strategies for Emerging Artists — and Megastars (Wired; http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/magazine/16-01/ff_byrne?currentPage=1# ).
With Sobule’s fundraising encouraging us and Byrne’s article providing a logical case for maximum independance, the following pre-sell (yes, patronage) schedule is offered for Two Plus Plus Productions LLC as a potential means to finance its productions:
$10 – In the Audience:
- A free digital download of the CD when it’s released.
$25 – Sneak Preview:
- Advance copy of the CD weeks before it is released.
$50 – Roadie:
- Advance copy of the CD; and
- Roadie credit on the CD.
$100 – Production Crew:
- Advance copy of the CD;
- Production Crew credit on the CD; and
- T-shirt saying you were a member of the Production Crew.
$250 – Pre-Production:
- Advance copy of the CD;
- Pre-Production credit on the CD;
- T-shirt saying you’re part of the Pre-Production; and
- Input on which scripts are produced.
$500 – Executive Production:
- Advance copy of of the CD;
- Executive Production credit on the CD;
- T-shirt saying you’re part of the Executive Production;
- Input on which scripts are produced; and
- Input on casting for the roles.
This could work. More to come.
Jill’s Next Record
# 30 #